Movie Crossword Puzzle
Reel Happiness movie crossword puzzles are entirely about a particular individual, topic, or film. No mere anchor words here!
In most crosswords, a theme consists of 2-4 anchor words on the subject, and everything else is garden-variety general knowledge. To such puzzles I say, “Hasta la vista, baby.” Here you’ll actually get to flex your movie muscles!
Two Ways to Play
Reel Happiness movie crossword puzzles are currently available in two formats, printable and digital, with an online version coming soon.
- The printable version is in PDF format, which we’re all familiar with by now.
- The digital version is in .puz format for Across Lite. Across Lite is a little software app that lets you play crosswords offine on your favorite device, as well as print them and save them in process. Across Lite is free and very lightweight, and the New York Times has used it for ages. It’s like Adobe Reader for puzzles. Get it now for Windows, Mac, or iPad »
- Special knowledge required: Some. For variety puzzles, your general movie chops should suffice. If it’s topical puzzle, of course it helps to be well familiar with the person or film.
- Liberties. Sometimes it’s a forced choice between skipping an neat theme-related entry or taking a liberty, in which case I choose the liberty. Thus, you might see a scramble (in which you’re given the letters, and they appear in some order) or an abbreviation, or maybe even a word spelled backwards. But no worries ~ because they’re irregular, the clue is obvious. There are no tricks.
- Two-Letter Entries. The vast majority of the time, a two-letter answer will be a person’s intitials. If they’re not, the clue will be clear and try to give it to you as something of a freebie.
- Film Titles. Rarely will you see articles such as “The” or “A/an” in movie titles – The Way We Were will likely show up as Way We Were. Otherwise it makes for a boring puzzle. Ugh.
- Puzzle Pattern. While conventional construction starts with a pattern and works in the words, I start with the words and let the pattern reveal itself. Thus, the pattern may appear unconventional ~ but it is always symmetrical.
- Blurred Reality. You’ll frequently see a person referred to as the character, as in “He/she did this in a certain movie.” I’m sure we’re all quite clear that actors are not their characters, but using correct English in the clues (despite a valiant effort, lol) is often verbose and would distract. Just stay flexible with the pronouns and try to take things in context.
Play a Movie Crossword Puzzle
Obsessions with Excellence (Oscars® 2015)
As a refresher, the nominees for Best Picture were American Sniper, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Boyhood, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Imitation Game, Selma, The Theory of Everything, and Whiplash.